July 8, 1908: Municipal Journal and Engineer article. Roanoke’s Public Utilities. “Roanoke, VA, is what is known as a railroad town, being largely populated by employees of the Norfolk and Western Railroad, which has its general offices and shops located there. During the 25 years of its history it has grown to a population of about 32,000. It is a beautiful and well kept city, which is probably largely due to the fact that about 90 per cent of the homes are owned by their occupants.
One of the most interesting features of the city is its water supply, which is owned by a private company. The water is furnished by a single mammoth spring which gushes from the foot of Mill Mountain. The water is clear, cold and pure, and is very satisfactory for drinking purposes, although not entirely so for manufacturing uses. The spring furnishes about five million gallons of water per day, which is about double the amount now being used. It discharges into a large concrete-lined well or pond, the overflow from which forms a small stream. A reservoir is located on the side of the mountain 175 feet above the city. Pumps draw the water from the pond at the spring and force it into a main, one end of which leads to the reservoir and the other to the city; the pumping being thus on the direct-indirect system.”